TMJ and TMD Baton Rouge
Temporomandibular joints hinge the jaw to the skull, with a disc of cartilage for cushioning. When this mechanism malfunctions, you develop TMD – temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Because this condition is widespread and often misdiagnosed, Baton Rouge dentist, Dr. Kurt LeJeune, shares insight into TMJ and TMD.
Signs and symptoms of TMD
- Change in bite.
- Clicking, popping, locking, pain, or swelling of the jaw joint.
- Crepitus, a bone to bone sound indicating advanced osteoarthritis.
- Depression from chemical changes in the brain.
- Dizziness, confusion, or disorientation.
- Earache or ringing in the ears.
- Limited jaw mobility – open, side to side, and forward.
- Misshapen condyle (ball joint).
- Muscle spasms in the face.
- Nighttime clenching or grinding (bruxism), or habitual clenching.
- Pain in the shoulders or back from muscle contractions.
- Poor sleep.
- Vision changes, light sensitivity, and twitching eye muscles.
Causes of TMDProblems with joint function may be the result of:
- Misaligned bite.
- Missing or crooked teeth.
- Muscular dysfunction from developmental issues or trauma.
- Hypopnea or sleep apnea, which contribute to bruxism.
- Extracapsular dysfunction. Up to 85 percent of TMD is related to muscular disorders such as myalgia, myositis, myofascial pain, and muscle spasm/trismus.
- Intracapsular disorders, problems that occur in the joint itself, affecting bones, cartilage, and ligaments.
- Poor posture.
There are two important points to remember about TMJ and TMD. First, there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Each case is entirely unique. Second, you are not alone. Dr. LeJeune and the team at Cypress Dental in Baton Rouge, LA are here to help. Call (225) 248-8400 to schedule a consultation.
All of the staff was extremely friendly, and very accommodating to all of my concerns and needs. The doctor took care to listen carefully to my concerns and answered all of my questions including providing a variety of options for me to choose from. The office atmosphere is very welcoming and professional. A great place for yourself and your family.
~ John V.
~ John V.